I turned down a free boat...that's not like me. It wasn't a free toy, day sailer, or dinghy - but a distance proven 37' Steel cruising sailboat. Granted it's very old and needs a lot of work - but hey... it's free !
It would have taken lots of money to re-fit, even more to re-rig, and another large amount to redo the stripped out interior;But with a few years of weekend and evening hours, help from my friends, and scavenging from scrap boats - this would have made this an exciting and (I feel) doable project.
The problem was moving it. No local marina would accept such a large project boat - so moving it would be a necessity. After weeks of research, I came up with one name - and he was out of town. No one else in the area seems to want to deal with a steel boat that old and large - and if they do, they want an exurbanite amount....the one reasonable quote I did find was immediately overshadowed by unforeseen financial difficulties..
So, I turned down a free boat - a boat that could have started making our dream a reality!. I guess if it was meant to be, it would have happened.

No comments:
Post a Comment